Can't add a user, exists. Can't delete does not exist.

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Sun Jul 17 18:00:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:53:00AM -0400, Dave Walker wrote:
> What is ypcat, how do I install it.  No I am not running NIS.  I am
> running NFS for sharing /home.

You'll know that NIS is installed if typing 'ypcat passwd'
at the command line does anything. Does it?

If you don't have NIS installed, you needn't install it now;
I was just trying to figure out if NIS was the problem.

NIS allows you to share various files amongst multiple
machines, so that changing the file in one place changes it
in all the others. It's commonly used to share the
/etc/passwd file so that if a user has the right to read a
file on one machine, he has the right to view it on all the
others.

Let us know if ypcat works for you. If it does, then NIS is
installed. It's just a wild guess, but it's the best I've
got for now.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org