Can't add a user, exists. Can't delete does not exist.

Dave Walker dave at mudsite.com
Sun Jul 17 15:23:52 UTC 2005

Ok I don't know how I got into this but something is broken.  A user was
having account problems so I was going to just re-create the account.  I
deleted the princ from Kerberos, and tried deluser the_username.  I got:

linux:/# deluser tsheller
Removing user `tsheller'...
userdel: error deleting password entry
userdel: error deleting shadow password entry
done.

So i try to adduser:

linux:/# adduser tsheller
adduser: The user `tsheller' already exists.

I looked through all: passwd, passwd-, shadow, shadow- for the username
but none contain it.  Any ideas on how to make this work?

--
Dave