Ubuntu or Debian Dilemma

Rainer Gutkas Rainer.Gutkas at kstp.at
Sun Jul 17 13:46:35 UTC 2005

Bernie Betlach schrieb:

> I'm new to Linux but have a little programming experience.  Which
> should I install Ubuntu or Debian???
>
> Thanks....   I appreciate your opinions and advice.
>
> Bernie

Before I found and installed Ubuntu on my Powerbook G3 Pismo I had
Debian Sarge installed. So Sarge sure is a good system, but for my taste
Ubuntu is much nicher set up. So in Sarge I had problems with the
keymap,... and had to hack everything on my own. It took me 2 Weeks to
get sarge a bit like the system I wanted. With Ubuntu I started with a
really good set up System. Sure there are still screws to turn here and
there to get it really to what I want. But i found it much easier in
Ubuntu to find and tune this screws.
Oh and by the way the Ubuntu-Wiki is a real great information source,
which makes seeking information much easier than debian list archives. I
guess that's because people who write HowTos in Ubuntu have human
beeings as audience in their mind.

Rainer