which progrraming language to learn first

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Jul 16 22:57:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 01:01:51AM +0800, Steve Torrefranca wrote:
>sorry i am still on my first chapters of my python book too, so please
>how do you address these issues if you are using vim and other text
>editors (still have a hang over on java ide concept)
>
>1. CVS - do you fire-up a separate CVS client?  which one can you
>recommend?

Use a vim plugin for CVS for the basic commands.

>2. Local history - java IDEs like eclipse has local history that you
>can conveniently restore or compare with your current version if
>something goes wrong.

I've never used eclipse, or any other Java IDE so I'm not sure what you
mean with 'local history'. Vim will by default keep one previous version
of every file, but can be configured to keep any number of previous
versions.

>3. Deploy - what i like about IDEs is that there is hot deploy.
>everytime you edit and save a file, it gets uploaded to a local or
>remote server so you can test them immediately.  (stupid question) Do
>python programmers edit the files on the deploy folder itself? or you
>edit them locally then tar them up and scp them?

Since Vim is programmable you can write your own 'hot deploy' save
function. Then you can bind that function to a key.

Personally I don't like to have 'hot deploy'. Changes often span files,
and I want to make all changes needed and then deploy explicitly. Using
make for deploying is quite handy. The make step can of course be done
without leaving Vim. If you want a tool that has built-in support for
publishing then take a look at A-A-P (http://www.a-a-p.org/index.html
it's written by the same author as Vim).

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which
is the exact opposite.
     -- Bertrand Russel