GRUB does not load Windows XP

Weiers Coetser coetserw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 19:15:26 UTC 2005

Hi, thanks for the pointers so far...

>From my limited understanding WinXP is on the HD1,0 partition. Ubuntu is on
HD0. (/Boot/grub/device.map indicates it as follows: (hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/sda

The WinXP is installed on a SATA drive. Ubuntu is on an older IDE drive.
(When I started the whole install, the computer was booting from the SATA
drive (which would have made it HD0), but when I installed UBUNTU, the
installer only asked me if I wanted to install GRUB to the MBR. I responded
positively, but it seems to have installed GRUB onto the first partion of
HD1. (Whenever I booted, the computer would boot directly into Windows) It
never gave me any option to indicate which partition contained the MBR. I
solved that problem by setting my BIOS to boot from the IDE drive first
(Which contains my UBUNTU partitions). I then re-installed ubuntu and now I
can boot into Ubuntu. It gives the Windows option, but when I select it, it
crashes. I can boot into windows by changing the boot device in the BIOS
though.

OK... Here is my actual question. I do not see any GRUB config files under
/ETC. My root directory does have a Boot directory and under that are a few
files. The only file that seems to have "config" in it is config-2.6.10-5-38.
Otherwise there is a grub directory and in it is the menu.lst file which
seems to contain the menu items as well as the commands which result in the
mentioned error messages.

Which one should I edit? (although all the references seems to be correct in
the menu.lst file)

Where should I edit the LBA=32 in?

Thanks again.