Translating an app from KDE to GNOME

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Sat Jul 16 16:07:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 16:00 -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> I really love the Akregator newsreader, but it's a KDE app
> and for various reasons I'd like to GNOMEify it. (The
> biggest reason is probably just integration with the rest of
> GNOME: I'd like it to use the GNOME proxy, GNOME default web
> browser, etc.) Does anyone know how hard this is? Has anyone
> done it?

For start: Don't expect it to be easy!  Even more if the application is
not written professionally (i.e. there's no separation between the
different parts of applications like the GUI, Network, Caching, Storage)
it might be very hard.

Some other points:  KDE applications use Qt (which is a C++ toolkit like
most other parts of KDE) while GNOME's use GTK+ (which is a C toolkit
like most other parts of GNOME).  (This doesn't mean you can't use C++
with GTK+ or C with Qt.)

I don't know how "Akregator" is written, but you might be better off
writing a _wrapper_ around it to make it more integrated into GNOME
instead of converting it.  You could also create a Qt Theme (assuming
there isn't one already) that monitor GTK+'s themes and try to mimic
their appearances.

I hope this post wont turn you down and I hope you find it useful (even
a little).
Ziyad.