Backup utility in linux

Nicolas da Luz Duque hot_boy at skynet.be
Sat Jul 16 11:11:45 UTC 2005

Le samedi 09 juillet 2005 à 23:47 -0400, Stephen R Laniel a écrit :
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 12:44:18AM -0300, Vinicius Franco do Nascimento wrote:
> > Do u need DAT for make backup? Use tar command :) man tar
> >
> > And, u can make backup using CDR/RW and DVD, Ubunt has burn software
> > in default instalation.
>
> I hope you were responding to Charles rather than to me; tar
> and cdrecord (or mkisofs) are not as user-friendly as
> Retrospect. Even tar+GnomeBaker isn't as friendly.

Mondo [1] (with mindi) seems quite interesting to backup and restore a
whole system (not just some folders), but it seems to have a few bugs.
Gui is ncurse but quite user-friendly, and it works well to do backups
on Cd's. I also tried backup on nfs file system and Dvd, but neither
worked. Maybe it's fixed in the new version.

The site doesn't work very often but the package is in the repositories.
sudo apt-get install mondo mondo-doc

;-)

[1] http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

--
Nicolas da Luz Duque

GPG Key Fingerprint: 4646 3449 8BB1 D2E9 6122  08B2 084E 7833 8953 3945