Upgrading to Hoary

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Sat Jul 16 10:53:06 UTC 2005

On Saturday 16 July 2005 10:42, Sean Miller wrote:
> b) Is it a reasonably "seamless" process?

I've never upgraded Ubuntu, but the underlaying apt system should make it
quite seemless, yes.  You'd have to try very hard to really screw it up, and
if you have an XP partition, that will let you get here and ask how to fix
it, even if you do screw up :)

> I have some space on my XP partition...  can I back up Warty to that so
> that I can return to it later should a disaster happen and, if so, which
> filesystems should I back up and which are not so important? Clearly it
> is the system files that will, presumably, be needed to get the system
> back should the unthinkable happen...

Just the opposite.  Make a Hoary Install CD, and keep it safe.  Then, just
back up any important files you have made yourself (ie, work, mail, saved
games, etc; YOUR stuff).  A fresh reinstall from CD can then be done, and
then you just copy your own files from the backup.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com