Upgrading to Hoary

Stelian Iancu stelian.iancu at gmx.net
Sat Jul 16 10:49:37 UTC 2005

* Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net> wrote:

> Right,
>
> Having now been running on Warty since early December, and having been
> very happy with it, I think it may be time to upgrade to Hoary.

Nice!

> Question is...
>
> a) Are there great dangers in doing this? Could my system completely die
> as a result?

None than I can think of. These days it's pretty hard to get a system to
"completely die" in Linux. There might be issues, but hey, that's why
we're here for :-)

> b) Is it a reasonably "seamless" process?

Yup. Be sure to use a correct /etc/apt/sources.list (for example, if you
were using Christian Marillat's repos in Warty, they are being replaced
in Hoary with the backports - see http://backports.ubuntuforums.org).
You can find a sources.list file for Hoary in the Wiki.

After that, it's just:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

(isn't Debian great? :-).

It will probably take a while so be prepared with a good book or DVD ;-)

> Also...
>
> I have some space on my XP partition...  can I back up Warty to that so
> that I can return to it later should a disaster happen and, if so, which
> filesystems should I back up and which are not so important? Clearly it
> is the system files that will, presumably, be needed to get the system
> back should the unthinkable happen...

Well, I don't know what your partition layout is, but if you don't have
a separate /home partition, be sure to backup that one before. Besides
this, I can't think of anything else. Maybe if you are running a web
server on that machine and you have something in your /var/www (I lost
once my entire listing of my movies collection that way because I was
using some web based program and I forgot to backup /var/www).

> Sean

Good luck with the upgrade and let us know how it went!

--
Stelian Iancu | GPG http://pgp.mit.edu 0x023C22CF