Ubuntu or Debian Dilemma

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Sat Jul 16 08:55:03 UTC 2005

On Saturday 16 July 2005 07:24, Charles Yao wrote:
> Definitely Ubuntu. If you have little experience in programming it
> will be very difficvult to use debian. I tried debain before and i
> could not even install it because it seemed so complicated duting
> installation.

Well, ubuntu's installation is based on debian's new installer, so there's not
a lot of difference there these days.

But yes, I'd recommend Ubuntu (actually, I'd recommend taking time to get to
know the the KDE version, Kubuntu) over Debian.  It's tricky to setup Linux
in a way that 'just works' these days through Debian, and more importantly,
Ubuntu seems to have more sense of sanity in terms of keeping things
up-to-date (latest major versions of KDE, for instance) and functioning (IM
programs that understand the latest protocol changes, for instance).

Debian really made my life easier, but Kubuntu makes it easy and pleasant as
well :)

Now... if only they'd sort out those repositories :)

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com