Ubuntu Boot Up Logo

charlieg ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sat Jul 16 05:55:52 UTC 2005

Dr W Hunter Blair Wrote:
> I am finding it hard to imagine what is wrong with seeing *technical

> crap* on boot up. It can be useful. You can always walk away and
> switch

> on the coffee pot, or contemplate a different life without the

> irritations of computing :D,

> Hunter

I am finding it hard to imagine why some people don't realise that
"technical crap" is actually really intimidating.  If my mum were to
see Linux booting, she'd panic and think something was wrong, probably
not just the first time she witnesses it either.

All these little 'technical' elements, even if they're pragmatically
irrelevant, add up to make users think "this is not for me".  Keeping
it smart and tidy makes them feel they are using something smart and
tidy, even if it's just hiding the technical mumbo jumbo.

The technical intimidation of unadulterated Linux is not a hard concept
to grasp.

--
charlieg