which progrraming language to learn first

Mustafa Abbasi lordverminard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:33:06 UTC 2005

i have recently started using linux and since its my summer vacations i
wantedto learn a language.
i'll be honest part of this is so that i have a certificate to show when i
apply to colleges but mostly its cuz i
wanna learn.
so what language should i start with.
i was thinking C or visual basic but i am not sure if visual basic can be
used in linux ( can it???)
are these easy to learn, if only at the begginer level.
is there some place that would offer me a certificate for completing this
thing.
i live in pakistan so an online coarse that offer a certificate would be
incredible.
thanks.