XPDF

Thomas Templin lists at gnuwhv.de
Fri Jul 15 16:18:58 UTC 2005

On Friday 15 July 2005 15:34, Hubertus Hiden wrote:
> >Opening this file with evince 0.3.2 (btw an excellent PDF viever
> > IMO much better than x/g/k/pdf) works fine here.
>
> I've just tried to install evince...
> Synaptic (I'm using Hoary) installs 0.1.9-0ubuntu1 and this
> version shows exactly the same error as the other programs.

Yes, you're right. It uses an old poppler lib.

> And evince_0.3.2-0ubuntu1 can't be installed because of unmet
> dependencies with libc6 libfontconfig and so on :-(. Is 0.3.2 for
> Breezy ?

Yep, 0.3.2 is for breezy

Do you have a breezy repository in your sources list?
If yes, there shouldn't be _unmet_ dependencies.
Hhhm...

Using a breezy repository evince will get installed plus a couple of
depending deb's only.

(\ stands for linefeed)
---8y---
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy main restricted \
universe multiverse
---8y---

I just installed evince 0.3.2 on a fresh installed hoary box using a
breezy repository.

Only this additional deb files where installed aside evince:

libcairo1
libglib2.0-0
libglib2.0-0-data
libgnomecanvas2-0
libgnomecanvas2-common
libgnomeprint2.2-0
libgnomeprint2.2-0-data
libgnomeprintui2.2-0
libkpathsea3
libpuixman1
libpoppler0c2
libpoppler0c2-glib

It may be a good idea to 'activate' a breezy repository only for
this installation and 'deactivate' it afterwards to avoid an
unstable system due to (dist)upgrade.

Using breezy is not a good idea if you are no very experienced
GNU/Linux admin... ;-)

At least evince 0.3.2 is worth a try. (c:

Regards,
Thomas