How to get rid of an uninstalled program's now-unneeded/un-used dependencies

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Fri Jul 15 14:37:27 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:34:34PM +0900, Jeff Co wrote:
> Well, apparently not. Evince was the latest program I installed. So if my logic
> is correct, since it is the latest program to be installed, and since it at
> this time only, and not any earlier, that synaptic told me libXYZ was needed, I
> conclude that the only progarm  that needed libXYZ was evince.
> I didn't write down the real name of this libXYZ file, so I can't do the
> reverse depends lookup command (apt-cache show libXYZ)  you mentioned.

Decent logic. I'm not sure why deborphan wouldn't uninstall
it. You should just go ahead and do

sudo apt-get remove libXYZ

If apt-get tells you that any other packages will be
removed, then don't complete the uninstallation; if libXYZ
is the only one that will be uninstalled, then you should go
ahead with it.

If you don't know the real name of libXYZ anymore, then the
whole discussion is kind of academic, right? :-)

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org
+(617) 308-5571