How to get rid of an uninstalled program's now-unneeded/un-used dependencies

Jeff Co hanzjordan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:05:58 UTC 2005

 after removing/uninstalling a program (let's call it ProgramABC) what do we
do with the now-unused dependencies? These dependencies were installed for
ProgramABC, but now that ProgramABC has been removed, these dependencies are
not being used, not being used by any program. What do you guys do? Do you
guys take notes of the dependencies each installed program needs?

I think there is a problem here. We sometimes hear the experienced users
saying to newbies "You are free to try many programs, since they are all
free/safe/etc. They are in the repository. and if you don't like it, you can
just remove it."

And yes, the newbie can remove a program after trying it but this doesn't
take care of the unnecessary dependencies. Over time, our hard drive will be
wasting space, holding unnecessary dependencies. What do you guys do about
this?