.bashrc vs. .bash_profile

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Jul 15 07:17:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:05:56AM -0400, Matthew S-H wrote:
>Sorry to ask such a simple problem, but i looked through the first  100
>results on google and found nothing.
>
>What is the difference?  Under what situations does it read one over
>the other?
>I know it depends on if a shell is interactive or net.

Check the man page. I needed pen and paper to draw up a flow diagram
just to understand it.

Then I did the same for ZSH, and programatically changed my bash setup
to be more like ZSH.

>But when is a shell "interactive"?  And what does it mean to be
>"interactive"??
>Is it referring to interaction with the user, other processes, or what?

Interactive is when there's a prompt.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Jetlag is evil. But not as evil as Flash.
     -- Deborah Branscum