XDM

Sean Sieger sean.sieger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 03:48:42 UTC 2005

Lee Braiden <lee_b at digitalunleashed.com> writes:

> On Thursday 14 July 2005 20:08, Sean Sieger wrote:
>> From my Cygwin days I remember using just X as a desktop.
>>
>> Is there a way to start X with no Gnome, let alone without xdm?
>
> Yes, you can use xinit or startx with a simple startup script.  But
> you'll at least need a window manager for it to be useful.

Thank you for directing my attention to xinit, Lee.

I am now trying to install the package x-window-system. After the first
attempt using Synaptic failed, I used apt-get and apt-got this:

Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/x/xorg/lbxproxy_6.8.2-10_i386.deb  MD5Sum mismatch
Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/x/xorg/xfwp_6.8.2-10_i386.deb  MD5Sum mismatch
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

This to get a package called x-window-manager. How do I work around the
MD5Sum mismatch? And don't get me wrong, I love my Gnome Desktop -- I just
want to be able do this thing.
--
Sean Sieger