File System ???

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Thu Jul 14 14:31:51 UTC 2005

I have had this problem before, but with a windows box, and it would
occur on a proper shutdown as well as an unplanned poweroff. It was
caused by a pair of new 160 GB maxtor drives I installed. I tracked it
down to the fact that the disks were not completing their cache flushes
before system poweroff. Some drives lie about whether or not they have
flushed things. On a windows box this is a horrible killer because the
last thing written is the system registry hive (stupid design in my
opinion). After 3 crashes, I went back to my old 80G maxtors, slapped
the 160's in a different computer, and have never had a problem since. I
have since swapped everything to ubuntu, but havent tried the 160's in
my main machine again. I am willing to bet they would experience the
same problem.

As for everything else, sudden poweroffs should be no problem with a
journaling file system like ext3, that is the whole point afterall. I
would use that drive somewhere else and call it a day. It could simply
be a bad drive too. I would never trust it with my backups.

Matt