Huge Gnome startup delay

Jeff Peeler jpeeler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 02:31:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:15:08 -0700, William Chapman wrote:

> On 7/12/05, Jeff Peeler <jpeeler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:50:49 -0400, Jeff Peeler wrote:
>>
>> > I'm having about a 2 minute and 30 second startup delay every time
>> > gnome starts. Everything loads as expected until gnome-panel loads. It
>> > then just shows the two "bars" and then sits there and finally loads
>> > everything. It would be helpful if I knew where gnome stored its
>> > startup logs if it has any like X does. Also, on occasion I get the
>> > following four separate errors:
>> >
>> > The panel encountered a problem while loading
>> > "OAFIID:GNOME_WindowListApplet". The panel encountered a problem while
>> > problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_WorkspaceSwitcherApplet". The
>> > panel encountered a problem while loading
>> > "OAFIID:GNOME_ShowDesktopApplet".
>> >
>> > If these errors appear, my bottom panel doesn't load anything above
>> > which is everything on it.
>> >
>> > I'm not using the back ports repository on this machine. My laptop
>> > that is using it is running fine.
>> >
>> > Here's what I have tried so far:
>> >
>> > I tried a new .gnome2 directory with no success.
>> >
>> > I tried logging in with another user and the same delay occurs.
>> >
>> > I tried removing everything in the /tmp dir. I saw a Breezy post about
>> > this and thought it might be worth a shot.
>> >
>> > I tried deleting everything in the .gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers
>> > directory. This fix actually worked temporarily and startup occurred a
>> > few times normally. Upon restart though the same delay returned.
>> >
>> > I'm really not too sure where to go from here...
>>
>> Well, thanks for everybody's help. None of the posted solutions worked.
>> However the problem actually just went away. Maybe it was network
>> related and by my switching networks one "stuck" setting got corrected.
>> I switch networks pretty regularly though.
>>

> Jeff,
>
> FYI, I have the exact symptoms you described.  I have a small home-network
> behind a broadband NAT router, with two Ubuntu systems. One always
> exhibits the behavior you describe; the other never does. I haven't spent
> any significant time analyzing the problem - as you obviously have - but
> do have this to add:
>
> (1) If I delay my logon for, say, one minute, the problem is avoided; or
> (2) after the symptoms occur, logging off and back on avoids the problem.
>
> Both my systems are fairly "stock," and new, but I do have all the
> normally-commented-out repositories enabled.
>
> Since I just joined this list today, I haven't read the previous, related
> posts, but will do so, and track future ones.  (I do hope I haven't broken
> protocol for correctly using this list.)
>
> Bill Chapman

This is interesting - I wish I had the problem so I could see if these
same quirks were common! I must admit that I am not used to using dhclient
as I have always used dhcpcd. I just discovered today that the switch I
connect to at work is borked. So maybe that was what messed everything up.
Although I think I am really stretching it here, oh well.

I hope you haven't borken any protocol here. My post above was
actually my first post as well.