File System ???

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Thu Jul 14 01:07:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 03:59:36AM +0300, ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 22:35 -0400, Larry Grover wrote:
> > Are you exporting with the "async" option?  According to the exports
[snip]
> This is no longer true with journal file-systems (like in this case:
> EXT3)!  One of the most important features of a journal file-system is
> to prevent such corruption in all cases (at the expense of some
> performance lose).

I think you're confusing layers, Ziyad. If the original
poster is using NFS to send data over to another hard drive,
he can lose data *even if* that other hard drive is using a
journaling FS. That's the trouble with the 'async' option:
it doesn't wait for the first block that went over the wire
to be committed to disk on the other end before it sends the
next block.

> Also, "async" is *on* by *default* unless you turn it off (by passing
> the "sync" option after all other options related to the subject)!

Um ... right. Which backs up Larry's point: if async is on
(as it is by default), there's some danger of data loss.

Personally, I wouldn't suspect that this is the main
culprit for the original poster's problem, but it's
something worth checking out.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org