Not so Ubuntu related C question

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Wed Jul 13 22:07:32 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 22:51, Dave Walker wrote:
> >>time.  My question is, am I able to use mutex in the library to allow
> >>only one process to write at a time, OR, will I need to use a file lock?

> It's not so much a gaim/tb question as it is a 'how C works' question.
>
> Would I be able to use Mutex through a library used in 2 different
> programs (i gave gaim/thunderbird as an example), or would I have to use
> a file lock.

There are C and C++ groups on usenet, where you can ask general programming
questions.

In this case, I'd say that it's a data integrity question for a linux-specific
development forum/group/list.  Since other things running on the OS could
equally access those files -- not just the two things that will use your
library -- the best level to do the file locking is at the OS-level.

  http://seclists.org/lists/isn/2003/Jun/0074.html

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com