Howto Improve Performance?

Rainer Gutkas Rainer.Gutkas at kstp.at
Wed Jul 13 21:51:22 UTC 2005

y so far experiences are like this:

> Xcfewm: Is a nice Windowmanager, but a ugly buggy thing. So
> currently I'm running it, because it gives a little performance
> plus.

First of all thanks for the tip with ogle. This is really a good peace of software. So DVD didn't get perfect through it's usage under ICEWM, but ist got watchable. So from what I know from debian-ppc list this is a good performance for a 400 Mhz pismo.

Then to my further experiences. Comparance between Totem and VLC, used to view the same Divx - video showed that VLC only uses of half the CPU time, whle Totem consumes the CPU totally. So I don't need Totem anymore. Is there a safe way to deinstall it, without loosing updates,... Because when you deinstall Totem you also gotta Deinstall Ubuntu Desktop.

yours,

Rainer