Huge Gnome startup delay

Chua Wen Kiat wenkiat.chua at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 04:20:49 UTC 2005

I've encountered GNOME startup delays once in a while too... i suspect
it could be most likely when my internet/network is having problems
(slow or not connected)

What I did was to go to Applications -> System Tools -> Terminal then
$ killall nautilus
This will refresh the desktop immediately...

Another thing I suspect is a Ubuntu Update Manager issues, try disable
auto check for updates in synaptic. After disabling it, i din get the
startup delays any more