cdrecord and dvds

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Jul 12 19:05:05 UTC 2005

I have a script that back's up dirs of data to DVD using cdrecord.

When I run the cdrecod that I got with ubuntu, I get:

cdrecord: Found DVD media but DVD-R/DVD-RW support code is missing.
cdrecord: If you need DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for cdrecord-ProDVD.
cdrecord: Free test versions and free keys for personal use are at
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
cdrecord: This version of cdrecord does not include DVD-R/DVD-RW support code.
cdrecord: See /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.DVD.Debian for details on DVD support.

I read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.DVD.Debian which says:

apt-get source cdrtools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Unable to find a source package for cdrtools

(should I bugzilla this?)

I did find that apt-get install dvdrtools gives me dvdrecord which I think is the
patched cdrecord, but it seems to be a much older version of cdrecord, and I am
using some newer options.

Before I tweek my script to use the older version, is there a ubuntu way to get
the newer dvd enabled version of cdrecord?

Carl K