Installing software in user friendly way

Renato Pedroso Henriques renato4010591 at yahoo.es
Tue Jul 12 12:05:21 UTC 2005

Yes, that is it,  how to "notify Synaptic of a local package".

Once it goes into the synaptic I know the aplication will be able to handle it.

Neil Woolford <neil at neilwoolford.co.uk> escreveu:
On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 13:40 +0200, Henning Kilset Pedersen wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 08:36 -0300, Renato Pedroso Henriques wrote:
> > Yes. I tried the Synaptic thing, but I was unable to include the opera
> > tgizp package inside it. I did a custom search from within the
> > aplication but it did nothing. I know I am doing somethig wrong for
> > sure. This cannot be that dificult.
>
> Actually, opera probably isn't included in the repositories at all,
> since it is a commercial, non-open-source application.
>
> You would need to get it from Opera as a tgz package in your case,
> unfortunately.

Well, the news isn't *quite* that bad. If you go to the Opera download
pages there is a version listed for Ubuntu, which downloads a debian
style package. I haven't tried installing it yet though, and can't off
the top of my head recall how to notify Synaptic of a local package.

I do know that I did install Opera on my previous (Warty) Ubuntu system
and it worked very well indeed.

Neil Woolford

Renato Henriques

skype: repehe