MP3 compare tool

Thomas Kaiser thomas at kaiser.linux-site.net
Sun Jul 10 15:54:10 UTC 2005

Hello

Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> Well, as a start just use the 'cmp' utility, which compares
> *any* file to any other file. Type 'man 1 cmp' at any
> command line. You just do
cmp does a binary compare. So, you can find any difference in the file.
But with MP3s, is it more difficult. I have a song A which was ripped
with a bitrate of 128 and I have a the song A with a different bitrate.
These files will be different. So, cmp does not help much.

There is a tool in the windows world "Abee MP3 Duplicates Finder" which
is supposed to compare the ID3 tags first and then check the contens of
the MP3 and find duplicates. Unfortunatlly, this programm can not handle
my huge archive. (and anyway I don't like to use windows programms).

So, I thought somebody in the Linux (Ububtu) community had already the
same problem.

The tool should compare the ID3 tags and show me which files have
similare ID3 tags, then I can check the properties of the files and
decide which one I like to keep.

Regards and thanks,

Thomas