MPEG-4 Movies

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 03:29:02 UTC 2005

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 01:40 +0200, Marek Pawinski wrote:
>
>>Just got it right now, am using trusty mplayer with the "esd" sound
>>option, alsa and oss don't work.
>>

> "libavcodec" (also known as "lavc" and more correctly "FFMPEG"¹) can't
> handle AAC audio streams.  You need support for FAAD² (Free Advanced
> Audio Decoder).
>
> Here's what I get when running "mplayer -ac help | grep -i AAC":
>         faad  faad  working  FAAD AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio) decoder  [libfaad2]
>

> Make sure your MPlayer have support for FAAD.  Also, as far as I
> remember, Totem with the Xine back-end can handle those files without a
> problem.
>
> I just confirmed this.  I have several AVI files that have sound encoded
> with AAC, and I just played them without a problem in Totem.  When I
> click on "Properties" from the "Movie" main menu, I get the following
> about the Audio:
>         Audio
>                 Bitrate:   0 kbps
>                 Codec:     AAC (libfaad)
>
> Ziyad.

I tried again with totem in Hoary.  And I made sure it was using the xine
backend.  Totem sees the video track as a iso mpeg-4 (ffmpeg), and the audio
track as an acc (libfadd) with a bitrate of 0kbps, and the then only display
the video, not the audio track.

As I wrote in another email, vlc from Hoary's universe works perfectly on that
mp4 file.  And looking at the property menu in vlc, it sees the video as a
mp4v, the audio as mp4a, but this time with a bitrate of 705kb/s and a sample
rate of 22 khz.

Anyway, thanks for everyone for your help.  And its great to finally be able
to watch these videos from Ubuntu using only applications available in main
and universe.

--
Daniel Robitaille