partition imaging and backup utility

uli at wach-o-witz.de uli at wach-o-witz.de
Fri Jul 8 17:26:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:10:22 +0500, lordverminard at gmail.com wrote
> i was browsing through synaptic and found this neat program.
> partimage.

Nice program, indeed. OTOH, i've used this a couple of times before and
disovered some problems. Sometimes it wasn't possible to restore the image
because 'partimage' thought it needed another version of itself to be able to
read the image it created before. Usually a version that didn't exist yet.
Worst case.

After playing around with it for some time _I_ decided that this program is
not reliable enough for me (IMHO). So i worked out an idiotproof method to
backup my partitions. Read more here: http://wach-o-witz.de/sys_bu_afio.html

As said before, the experiences with 'partimage', 'g4u' or simply 'dd' are
_MY_ experiences. YMMV

Uli

--
Prayers have no place in school, just as facts
have no place in religion! --The Simpsons