Problem with NIC on IBM Thinkpad T20

Ben Edwards ben at serverone.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 15:58:28 UTC 2005

I am installing Ubuntu Horay on the above laptop.  If I boot the live CD
all works well.  However when I install and boot the network douse not
work.  The live CD is using a 2.6.7 kernel and the install uses
2.6.10.

The live CD seems to be using module 3c59x so I tried 'modprobe 3c59x'
after install and did not get any errors but ifconfig eth0 (and eth1)
came back with

eth0: error fetching network interface:device not found

I have heard rumours about a problem with acpi but not sure how to
disable this or what is is ;(

lspci shows the NIC to be a 3com 3c556b.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Ben