Malone !!!!

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Jul 7 06:31:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 04:23:19AM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>I just created an account, so that I can file a few bugs about GQview,
>as it's in Universe. But it's a real pain to simply get to it (no
>direct link in the "Support" page of the Ubuntu wiki, had to dig out an
>URL by searching the wiki), and once in it, the usability it is a lot
>lower than Bugzilla, which I thought was not very friendly (I changed
>my mind now...).

Yes. I've never quite understood why Malone is hidden so well. I think
the MOTU people should have a link from their main page to their bug
tracking tool. I also think that if Universe is an official part of
Ubuntu (albeit unsupported) its bugtracking should be linked from the
same page where you now only find Bugzilla[1].

>Indeed, the user interface to select the package name and distro name,
>is not the most convenient. And once a bug is reported, it not obvious
>nor quick, what you should do/where to click to file the next bug... I
>didn't find simple/direct "new bug", like in bugzilla.

Yes, I can only agree. Bugzilla is somewhat confusing, but its interface
seems to communicate what is expected of you next. Malone seems rather
half-baked still. I'm under the impression it's still under heavy
development so I still have hope.

>But, the biggest problem I have right now is... : In the body of my
>second bug report on GQview, I wrote "see screenshot attached",
>thinking I will be given the opportunity to do so once the body of the
>bug report is validated. But, now that the bug is created... pardon me
>if I am blind, but what the hell do I have to do upload a file ???
>All I can see in the "actions" menu on the right of the screen, is a
>"web link" entry. If users are expected to have their own web space,
>and are required to know how to upload files, and are required to not
>touch them until the bug is fixed, I doubt that many people will either
>be able, or really, simply bother attaching anything at all ! :-/
>Please tell me that I missed some obvious "Click here to add an
>attachement" button, or at least tell me that Malone is experimental
>and that all these problems will be fixed before we give up bugzilla
>and all bugs go there (I think that's the plan, no ?).

File a bug on Malone! That's what I'd do.

/M

1. http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/bugs

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who
are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
     -- Mark Twain
Clearly, it's the imbeciles. And they really mean it.
     -- DBT