Install Hoary ppc on Wallstreet (oldworld mac)?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 04:57:20 UTC 2005

Has anyone completed a fresh install of Hoary on an oldworld Mac? The
hints and tips seem to be regarding Warty, and so far I have not found
a combination of tricks that works with a fresh Hoary install.

I have a 1998 PowerBook G3 Series 266 Mhz (PDQ/Wallstreet) formerly
running Debian. The Mac OS 9 part of the drive hiccoughed today and
needed reformatting so I decided it might be time to try Ubuntu on it.

I got BootX to start the install CD (though frustratingly the needed
video=atyfb parameters are differet from the ones that worked in
Debian). The installer makes it all the way to the "Installing the
Base System" step, then it says it can't detect an Ubuntu image to
install from. (And of course it was reading items from that very image
in the preceeding steps!)

I've tried the hints on the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallOnOldWorldMacs   but no luck. The
relevant modules do seem to load... the mesh module loads fine, mace
is not on the Hoary CD but the ethernet gets detected and configured
so I presume it's not needed in Hoary.

As I said, the installer is able to detect the CD and load the first
small group of packages including the partitioner, it lets you
partition the drive, and then it says it can't find an Ubuntu CD. On
one try, I loaded the custom package that lets you point to another
repository, and it seemed to successfully download and install
packages from the UK repository (sorry about the bandwidth), but that
installation attempt failed in a different place.

If anyone has been successful with a fresh Hoary install on an
oldworld, I'd appreciate knowing the trick.