OK, before I install, a couple of newb questions?

David david at kenpro.com.au
Wed Jul 6 08:30:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:59:34PM -0700, Beats Walkin wrote:
> hello everyone!
>
> i've been lurking the list for a few days and things
> look pretty good. i'm ready to try this distro. what
> really did it was whoever said "Ubuntu is about love"
> but it looks like this is a really cool group. just a
> couple of questions:
>
> 1. web developers: what HTML editing software do we
> have that does extended find/replace like Homesite?

I don't use any graphic interfaces on Linux, although there are some
around. I use vim... can't get more basic than that. The only thing that
works better for me is BBedit, but that's only for OSX :(

I had to do a very complicated find and replace across an entire site
recently and used a shell/perl single line command to do it. First you
have to learn shell and perl. Apart from that slight problem, it's much
nicer to do tasks like that from the command line once you can do it. Then
again, if you are professionally doing web sites, you already know perl
anyway, don't you? ;-)

> 2. what FTP software do we have to synchronize
> directories?

nothing beats rsync. NOTHING. Also installed on OSX. If you aren't using
rsync, you are making life hard on yourself.

> 3. how is Ubuntu working as a LAMP development
> platform?

very switched on. (what is LAMP, btw?)