Partioning problem

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Jul 5 06:49:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:14:23AM +0100, Shalini Bissessur wrote:
>While installing Ubuntu Version 4.10, after installing the 4th
>partition as primary type, the rest of the disk space is termed as
>unusable. What can be done to create more partitions?

AFAIK there is a limitation of 4 when it comes to primary partitions.
I've never really understood why one should use primary instead of
logical partitions, since it seems to work just fine to use only logical
partitions. I vaguely remember having to create primary partitions to
host the logical ones, but that was years and years ago... Debian Potato
time I think. By now it seems partitioners (e.g. cfdisk) handle things
better, I haven't had to create a primary partition in years!

Well, to answer your question. You can have only 4 primary partitions,
if you want more you'll have to use logical partitions instead. AFAIK
there is no reason not to use only logical partitions in your system.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The role of the technology industry is to blaze new trails that create new
opportunities for Hollywood. The role of Hollywood is to seek injunctive
relief from those opportunities.
     -- Cory Doctorow