Hoary on dual P2 300MHz is really slow

Colin McDermott colmcd at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jul 4 23:39:19 UTC 2005

Hi Janne

I do not know if I can help you very much. but I will see what I can do.

1. If you have any extra ram sticks lying around then wack them in. The
more ram the faster the install goes.

2. Make sure that it is connected to the network. DHCP tends to take
awile to find.

3. I have installed Ubuntu on dual processor mainboards with 1 processor
in them quite sucessfully. Best bet is to go into bios and disable
anything that is not in use (ie like scsi controllers, on board sound
cards, basically anything that you don't need on the machine.) I did try
once to do a dual 350mhz install with warty but it did not succeed.

I am sorry that I cannot tell you more.

Colin McDermott
Reboot Computer Reuse centre
Ubuntu Lite