Please help - problem with boot

DanM micudan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 17:53:29 UTC 2005

First of all I am very new in Linux world and my English is not very good so …
please be kind with me!

I have a computer with the following configuration:
CPU INTEL Pentium 4/3 GHz
MB ASRock P4I65GV/ video on board Intel 82865G
512 MB DDRAM PC3200
HDD SATA 120 GB 7200 RPM
DVD-ROM TOSHIBA
CR-RW TEAC
MODEM Intel 536EP, internal
First time when I have installed Linux was Suse 9.1 Pro. It went smoothly, no
problems at all (I even managed to properly install the modem and navigate on
Internet).
Then I bought a SPARKLE GeFORCE FX5500/350 MHz RAMDAC 128 MB DDR video card and
the problem began. The system is freezing during boot.
I erased Suse Linux 9.1 Pro and put Mandriva 10.1 instead but the same problem
occurred. I even try with KNOPPIX 3.7 PRO. When I choose to boot with kernel 2.6
freeze but when I boot with kernel 2.4 the system boots well, but video card is
not recognized (manufacturer NVIDIA type unknown … ).
With Ubuntu Live the boot process goes well until * Starting hotplug subsystem
…and freeze.
Please help me to install Ubuntu Linux on my computer (I wonder why Linux
doesn’t recognize all the hardware with generic drives and then let the user to
install the right ones to avoid problems like this. I have WindowsXP SP2 on
other partition and is going fine).

Thank you for your help!

Dan Micu