FYI: Remove GMail "Reply-To:" for Lists

Paul M. Bucalo ubuntuser at pmbservices.com
Mon Jul 4 11:23:19 UTC 2005

GMail automatically inserts the sender's email address in the "Reply-To:"
for any emails sent from the account. This causes those replying to these
posts to have to manually strip the user's email address from their reply
post while composing, or to use a menu choice that replies to the mailing
list only, as is available in Evolution.

A neat little trick was posted on a list I use to frequent a while ago. By
going into the "Settings" of your GMail account, and adding "< >" as the
"Reply-To:" address, GMail will leave the header blank. Please note that
there is one space inserted between the less-than and greater-than signs.
Of course, the double quotes should not be added, as well. I have no idea
where this is documented, but it does work. I suggest everyone using GMail
consider making this change to keep their email addresses out of the
"Reply-To:" header.

Btw, has anyone tried something like this on other Web-based email
accounts that do the very same thing to the "Reply-To:"?

FYI,

Paul