Kubuntu beats WinXP with DVD Burning

Ravi Kumar kumar.rvi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 15:04:28 UTC 2005

On 7/3/05, Peter (TheSpider) <kubuntu.spider at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hiya y'all,
>
> Recently I installed Kubuntu as a dual-boot with WinXP-Pro on my AMD64
> system.
> Although I am a new Linux user, I am not new to non-Windows OS's after using
> many 8-bit systems, and years of using AmigaOS. So far I am loving the Linux
> experience.
> So far, I am having one major problem however, but also just discovered one
> major benefit...
>
> The problem:
> Kubuntu is not recognising my Soundblaster 24 Live sound card.
> Any suggestions anyone?
>
> The benefit:
> Ever since I bought this new system last December, I have been unable to
> burn DVD's using my Sony DVD RW DW-D22A. Reading & burning CD's, and reading
> DVD's, have been no problem on WinXP, but not burning to DVD.
> Tonight, I ran Kubuntu/K3b and burnt 4.3G of MP3s to a DVD-R with no
> problems whatsoever. Most excellent.
> Definately a case where Kubuntu has won over WinXP!!!

Hello Peter,
      Like you I am also a recent convert to Ubuntu. I was using
Fedora Core 2 prior to that. And I also have the same problem in
getting my sound card working in Ubuntu. I had configured it
succesfully in Fedora and was working very well. But my Ubuntu
experience w.r.t sound card is really not nice.

I think Sound configuration is one area where  Ubuntu has scope for
improvement.  In all other ways, it is a truly wonderful distro.

Ravi
--
http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com