is there anyway to for me to allow another user to login same time as me

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Sun Jul 3 09:51:39 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 14:14 -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:06:28PM +0500, Mustafa Abbasi wrote:
> > i have one computer for the entire family.
> > i am continously working either downloading or something else. thing which do
> > not recive logginf out well.
> > i was wondering if my parents could login without me logging out and my
> > procceses stopping.
> > you know like in windows xp.
> > don't think i am trying to copy windows and bash me please.
> > this would essentially solve many probs
> > and prevent my parent from destroying the computer by giving them less powers.
>
> Please don't take our (my) earlier snippiness about your
> desire to have a root account as mere Windows hatred. I
> think we were just trying to inform you of all the issues
> that come from having a root account, and it wasn't clear
> that you had taken all of them into consideration.
>
> Windows *does* do some things well. Fast User Switching
> under XP is one of them. OS X has an equivalent. Linux
> should have something similar. As far as I know, it doesn't
> as of yet.

Applications->System Tools->New Login

when they log out of that, you get dumped back into the X session you
were in when you selected that menu item. Or you can leave that login
active as well, and switch between them, via the ctrl-alt-f7 and
ctrl-alt-f8 keyboard combinations.
Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.