Problems installing mplayer

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jul 3 08:21:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:15:38 +0530
Manish Chakravarty <manishchakravarty at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have been a fan of Mplayer for a long time now.
> However, i am facing problems installing mplayer in Ubuntu.
> Whenever i select the package mplayer-custom in synapitc, it gives me
> the following errors:
> mplayer-custom:
>  Depends: libavcodec2 but it is not going to be installed
>  Depends: libpostproc0 but it is not going to be installed
>  Depends: libxvidcore4 but it is not going to be installed
>
> It also says"you are going to install software that can't be
> autheticated".
> How do i install mplayer then?
> Is it ok to download and compile the source myself? (Will it break
> something?)
> Please help
> Manish Chakravarty

Just a guess, but I suspect you are using third-party repositories like Marillat or similar. Mplayer is available from multiverse in Hoary. I've seen this kind of conflict occur with repos that are out of synch with Ubuntu - currently that's the case with Marillat at least.

If you have such repositories, I suggest you comment them out, enable multiverse, do a

sudo apt-get update

and try installing mplayer again.

Peter