gnoppix and Ubuntu

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Jul 2 21:38:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 17:07 -0400, BB wrote:

> I'm running the live CD right now, I don't see a point in installing it
> when it's basically like running Ubuntu. Repositories are the same along
> with everything else.

Except it has a very pretty background screen:-)

> I for one would not install this on my HD. (Sorry for being blunt, but
> it's true)
>
> I support them in everything they do because they're working with
> Ubuntu, but if you're going to run this, just run Ubuntu's CD, it's
> basically the samething (*Shrugs*)

Just to be fair, the Ubuntu version of gnoppix is flagged as a developer
version, so I guess they still have some work to do to make it polished
like knoppix. A fast start time without all the questions being asked
everytime you boot would make it more usable, IMHO.

Also, live CDs are quite often used to manipulate partitions. gparted on
the Ubuntu gnoppix can do quite a bit, but it has two majer problems.

First, it does not know how to move an ext3 file system. And second, the
swap partition on the disk is used by the live environment, so this
partition is active and cannot, therefore be moved or resized. There may
be a way to deactivate it, but I've not found it yet.

I'm about to check if qtparted on knoppix suffers the same issues.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold