Adult content

alain.muls at telenet.be alain.muls at telenet.be
Fri Jul 1 14:40:41 UTC 2005

Hi,

I started up this 'lively thread'. I was (mostly pleasantly) amazed by the turn this request received. I am not a philisophical type, and I would like to conclude this thread with the following.

Social control and talking with my kid will certainly help, but I am afraid that, since kids like to explore, this social approach will eventually fail short and therfore I want it to be supported (I do not mean by this enforcing)  by software. I have no objection with an Internet that has also grown in the 'darker areas', I am for a free world (my kids use Ubuntu and OpenOffice for that reason), but this implies also that dangers are out there and that they are easily accessible. Therefore a little help from a friend (DansGuardian) is needed. Even if one does not want to visit such sites, they can come up quite high in Google's search without having the intent to do so. For example, I am a LaTeX fan, the first time I did a search on something LaTeX related, you can quite easily guess what came up first. I just want an extra protection on the Internet just as well as I try to protect him when he takes his bike to school by providing lights and reflectors, nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for the  advice I got, I will try to set up DansGuardian, and sorry if someone got offended by me starting this thread.

Tx
Alain