Suggestion: Installation Program for Windows

michael installer at dslextreme.com
Fri Jul 1 07:47:55 UTC 2005

Todd Deshane wrote:

> On 6/30/05, *michael* <installer at dslextreme.com
> <mailto:installer at dslextreme.com>> wrote:
>
>      > > anybody who goes through so much trouble will probably be better of
>      > > with a live distro
>
>      > looks like a livecd installer is the goal.
>      > http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/GraphicalInstaller
>
>     If I want to show someone what linux is, a LiveCD is the right tool to
>     use, and a LiveCD installer would be even better.  However, many Windows
>     users do not even know how to burn a CD.  They know how to download and
>     install programs like AIM or WinZip, but they have no idea what to do
>     with an ISO image.  A program that would allow inexperienced users to
>     install linux as easily as AIM or WinZip would open up linux to many
>     more people.
>
>      > For breezy they are working on an OEM installer to
>      > "Provide an installation method which is suitable for OEMs."
>      > http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/OEMInstaller
>     <http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/OEMInstaller>
>      > That could be used for the first boot part.
>
>     Good thought.
>
>      > I think once you can do the process manually successfully and
>      > reliable, someone could then help with the programming details.
>      > And with the breezy pieces you could use out of the box peices
>      > it looks like. I have no experience with WINGRUB or GRUB4DOS,
>      > but if you can provide a howto on the process you want tested
>      > i could probably test in the windows lab at school.
>
>     I actually have done this process manually.  I've just created a wiki
>     page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallUbuntuWithoutRemoveableMedia to
>     describe the procedure.  Let me know how it goes for you.
>

> It worked pretty well. I think it has a lot of potential, especially
> when the ubuntu installer is a little easier to use, does
> partitioning/resizing
> for you and graphical would be a plus.
>
> A few comments/corrections for you:
> By default windows doesn't know what to do with tar.gz file
> so I had to download 7-zip (probably not a big issue, especially
> if the first part was done by an installer)
>
> the menu.lst file goes in c:\boot\grub (you can update the wiki)
>
> The is a problem with how the menu.lst file shows up on the
> wiki, it looks like it is all on one line and there is a file:////{{{
> in there that might be confusing if you don't know how to setup
> grub.
>
> And the rest of my issues are with the installer itself, which
> hopefully will be taken care of with breezy.
> (for example my country, the us, wasn't in the list of mirrors)
>
> I think this has a lot of potential and should be done as a
> simple windows installer as you mentioned, (including the
> post install)
>
> Also, if we could leverage the customizable installer
> to let the user decide how to do partitioning, how much
> space to use etc. (give defaults of letting the ubuntu installer
> do the work, but if they have a partition set aside or are more
> [...]

I've updated the wiki per your comments.  I'm glad that you are
enthusiastic about this idea, but so far it's just you and me.  I of
course would love to help out in any way to make this idea a reality,
but my lack of any coding skills prevents me from doing anything to get
this going.  Do you (or anybody else reading this thread) have the
skills to get this going, or do you know where to look for people who
might?  I'm pretty new to the Ubuntu community, so I'm not really sure
where to look.
Michael