Adult content

Todd Slater dontodd at columbus.rr.com
Fri Jul 1 00:56:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 09:53:49AM +1000, David wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:50:27PM +0200, Alain Muls wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How can one try to keep kids away from adult or violent content using
> > Firefox on Ubuntu??
> >
> > Best regards,
>
> <soapbox>
> Speaking as the parent of 5 children, you should try parental supervision
> and discussion. It beats software everytime. In my not very humble
> opinion, censorship is a bad thing (tm) - even, or perhaps especially, for
> children.
> </soapbox>

Anybody requesting help will now be required to submit a written
rationale for why he or she is seeking the help in the first place. A
committee of experts will review the submission and pass judgement on
whether the applicant is worthy of help--whether he or she is justified
in the attempt. All requesters should write the rationale in the first
paragraph of the mail.

Do you think that being the father of 5 children lends you any sort of
authority on this matter? How do we know you're a *good* father?

Come on, at least two people have accused this guy of being a poor
father. Did you ever think that he *has* talked to his kids, that he *does*
supervise or perhaps is *unable* to supervise 24x7x365? Are his kids even
old enough for such a discussion, i.e. do you want to introduce your 6
year old to adult content so they'll know what to do when they encounter
it?

Additionally, even if you work on the "demand" side of things with your
kids, there is also a lot of adult content forced on viewers.
Pornnapping is all too common, especially with domains targeted to
youngsters (Brittany Spears, beanie babies, cheerleading etc.).

> Since you are probably looking for a software solution (read: "don't be a
> good parent"), I think you are probably looking for squidguard or
> something like that.

As others have mentioned, Dan's Guardian is what you want--very
configurable, pretty easy to set up IIRC.

Good luck, and don't let the judgemental jerks make you feel bad.

Todd