apt-get problem

Michael Vogt michael.vogt at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 25 08:18:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 06:08:46PM -0500, Michael Scottaline wrote:
> I just installed ubuntu 4.10 today.  Easy, fast install that found all
> of the laptops hardware and configured everything properly.  Bravo!!
> At work I access the net via our T3 line using a proxy server.  this
> may be the reason I don't seem to be able to access any of the apt-get
> repositories via gnome-terminal.  I've configured synaptic and my
> browsers for the proxy server and clicked on desktop configure network
> to add proxy servers there, but still get failures for each of the
> repositories apt-get tries to access.

Is it correct that you can access the proxy with your browser and
with synaptic but apt-get (on the commandline fails)? If so, you may
want to set the "http_proxy" enviroment variable. Many commandline
applications use it. Typo in a terminal:
$ export http_proxy=http://my.proxy.isp.com:3128/

Then:
$ apt-get update
$ apt-get dist-upgrade