upload jpeg images via nautilus' ftp doesn't work

steffen ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Mon Jan 31 12:13:58 UTC 2005

How does gFTP actually determine the mime type of the file? I constantly
have trouble with this - it is extremely annoying to have to go to the
menu to pick ASCII or binary for every file I'm transferring -
especially if I'm transferring directory structures.

I have tried going through all gftp.conf files I have found, but it
seems that no matter what I do here, the settings in the menu -
ASCII/Binary - is the only thing that applies.

The way I see it, gFTP is an extremely poor FTP client, and all Linux
FTP clients that I have tried have been really bad (I have tried at
least 10+ including Kbear, etc). As a matter of fact, one of the better
FTP clients I have seen for Linux is the Firefox extension! Very strange
since so many powerful applications exist for Linux, and the only thing
I actually feel I'm lacking is a good standard FTP client and a GUI
Gif-animator.

Filezilla is an excellent FTP client which I used back in the Windows
days. It's on sourceforge, and it is very strange that noone has
attempted to port this excellent client over to Linux, but are instead
concentrating on gFTP and Kbear, which are far behind.

Anyway - if anyone has any tips on how to get gFTP to automatically
determine the mime-type of a file, please let me know!

--
steffen