migration methods?

john_c ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Mon Jan 31 03:53:02 UTC 2005

Hello again:

I was thinking about this today and thought I'd add a bit that might
help.  I used to have all my address book under OE and migrated it to
T-bird, under windows, last spring.  That migration was a couple of
mouse clicks and flawless.

Late summer I switched to RH9 and evolution 1.4 but did not move my
address book or emails.  In the last couple of weeks I installed Ubuntu
and decided to clean up the email mess (over two different partitions
etc).  I exported the address book from T-bird (under Windows) into a
csv file.  This was very easy.

After a bit of searching I found the csv converter noted above.  I am
pretty sure I downloaded it as a .deb file and installed it along with
a couple of packages that it depended upon.  Perhaps you can keep track
of this or figure a better way to install it than the "seat of the
pants" method that I used.

I ran my address.csv file through it on the command line and it
transformed the file into a format that I could import into evolution.
I believe I used File>Import to import the new addressbook into
Evolution.  The transformation was perfect but a lot of my data was a
name and email address and nothing more.  I would run a check before
depending upon it totally.

At the time I was also trying to migrate my emails from evolution 1.4
RH9 to evolution 2.0 (Ubuntu) so did a lot of things that I didn't
really keep track of.   This is why I am a bit vague about the methods
mentioned above.  I did learn the easy way to move email and addresses
from an older version to a newer version of Evolution if anyone is
interested.

This is a bit off topic but I will ask.  I posted on this a couple of
days ago but got no answers.  If anyone figures out a way to use the
Evolution addressbook as a datasource in OpenOffice I would sure
appreciate hearing about it.  It is possible between Mozilla Mail and
Openoffice but I really like Evolution and don't want to switch.

Feel free to use any of this for a HOWTO.  If I can help let me know.

John_c

--
john_c