Sharing partitons

rpowersau at gmail.com rpowersau at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 01:51:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:23:23 -0500, A1ex <radsky at ncia.net> wrote:
> I have multiple Linux's installed, all sharing a common swap partition.
> This seems to work OK.
> Question:  Is it practical to share other partitions such as /home,
> /root, /var and others between
> a number of Linux systems?  Which partitions could be shared and which
> not.?  Benefits or problems?

Have a look at the FHS:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

There is a lot of information. Do a word search on shareable and
you'll find info like this:

"Some portions of /var are not shareable between different systems.
For instance, /var/log, /var/lock, and /var/run. Other portions may be
shared, notably /var/mail, /var/cache/man, /var/cache/fonts, and
/var/spool/news."

> alex, the OF

Regards,
Russ