Syncing a Handspring Visor with Ubuntu Warty (was: Mobile phone/PDA combo that will sync with Ubuntu)

H Postma henkpm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 18:45:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:25:54 +0100 (CET), Brian Durant
<linuxnewbiedk at yahoo.dk> wrote:
> First, thanks to all that contributed to the mobile
> phone/PDA discussion. I am still trying to get my
> Handspring Visor to sync with GNOME Pilot in Ubuntu
> Warty. Nothing happens when the Visor tries to
> communicate with my PC. I have both a USB HotSync
> cradle and a serial cable cradle. I haven't has any
> success with either. Anyone have experience with this
> issue? (Newbie alert)

The first thing to check is if the device shows up in /var/log/messages. Do
 # sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
and then connect your pilot and press the hotsync button on it. If all
goes well, it should show up. For my Palm m500 these message appears

Jan 27 17:53:22 localhost kernel: usb 1-1.1: Handspring Visor / Palm
OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Jan 27 17:53:22 localhost kernel: usb 1-1.1: Handspring Visor / Palm
OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1

So now go to Evolution, Select Tools/Pilot settings/

If you have never synced with your ubuntu/palm combo, it will bring up
a dialog, select /dev/ttyUSB1

otherwise just locate the approprate device and select /dev/ttyUSB1 as
the point where it appears. If you have a serial port, it will look a
little different, of course.

The /dev link is made on the fly whenever the device is talking to
your pc, afterwards it appears. If you want to be really proper, you
can make a symbolic link /dev/pilot to /dev/ttyUSB1 and have evolution
look at /dev/pilot (which is the default I think).

Hope this helps, Henk