Alien help for newbie.

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Fri Jan 28 18:34:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 09:54:14AM +0100, Brian Durant wrote:
>  --- Bob Nielsen <nielsen at oz.net> skrev:
> > On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 02:55:21AM +0100, Brian
> > Durant wrote:
> > with

> > Brian
> > Warty
> > sudo
> > install
> > out
> > want

> > without
> > run

> > packages,

> > --no-act|--dry-run|--simulate

> > pipe

> > > Sa right. Does the following that was in my last
> > > posting look as if the package would be installed
> > > correctly onto my system?
> > >
> > > /stardict $ sudo dpkg --dry-run -i
> > > stardict_2.4.4-2_i386.deb
> > > Password:
> > > Selecting previously deselected package stardict.
> > > (Reading database ... 72623 files and directories
> > > currently installed.)
> > > Unpacking stardict (from
> > stardict_2.4.4-2_i386.deb)
> > >

> > Well it doesn't indicate any errors.  Unless there
> > is something (like a
> > busted postinstall script) which alien didn't
> > detect, it should install
> > correctly.
>
> OK, so far so good. I did an alien -i on the file and
> it looks like it installed correctly. Even showed up
> in the accessories tab. BUT now the next task with the
> stardict-quick*.deb files (converted from .RPMs) is:
>
> "To install these tarball dictionaries, do this:
> tar -xjvf a.tar.bz2
> mv a /usr/share/stardict/dic"
>
> 1) Why were these packaged as .RPMs, if these are
> tarballs?
> 2) Did converting the .RPMs to .deb packages do
> something weird to the tarballs that I assume are
> inside?
> 3) How do I get these files from .deb to tarballs?

Does that message come up when you install the .deb?  I have seen files
packaged that way before (kernel-source), but I would expect that the
rpm would just install them in the correct place.

If you haven't installed them yet, you can view the contents with
'dpkg -c filename.deb'.  If these are indeed tarballs, install the
package and follow those directions.