Getting sound to work with an EMU APS soundcard

Florence Berbain fberbain at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 28 18:24:15 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

Currently I'm unable to get any sound from my soundcard (EMU Audio
Production Studio, based on the EMU10k1 DSP). I've tried playing a CD in
the Gnome CD Player, and an MP3 file in the Gnome Music Player, but I
don't get any sound on the speakers.

I'm a complete newbie to sound in Linux, but here's the information I
could gather:

1. The Gnome Volume Control application seems to know an EMU APS
soundcard is there: it displays two mains tabs, (titles: EMU APS [OSS
Mixer], and E-mu APS [Alsa Mixer]). The OSS tab shows 5 sliders, the
ALSA one many more (called e.g. Headphone, Line, Music, Wave...). I've
made sure all sliders are at least 3/4 quarters of the way up, and all
Mute buttons are toggled off.

2. lspci output:
adele at Miroslav ~ $ lspci -v
0000:00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
(rev 05)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs E-mu APS
        I/O ports at c800
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

0000:00:0d.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game
Port (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 4001
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
        I/O ports at cc00
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

3. inserted modules:
adele at Miroslav ~ $ lsmod
emu10k1_gp              3584  0
gameport                4608  1 emu10k1_gp
snd_emu10k1            96136  5
snd_rawmidi            24704  1 snd_emu10k1
snd_pcm_oss            52968  0
snd_mixer_oss          19456  3 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                95140  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              24900  1 snd_pcm
snd_seq_device          8040  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec         67844  1 snd_emu10k1
snd_page_alloc         11432  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_util_mem            4480  1 snd_emu10k1
snd_hwdep               9312  1 snd_emu10k1
snd                    55300  16 (
snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_util_mem,snd_hwdep
soundcore              10112  3 snd

4. sound devices:
/dev/audio, /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer, /dev/midi? /dev/dmmidi are present.

For now, I only want to use the card for playback. I had a look at the
Linux-Sound-HOWTO last night, but failed to find an answer there. Does
anybody have an idea what's wrong with my setup?

As I mentioned, I'm a sound newbie (this is ambiguous, isn't it?), and
I'm not very familiar with Gnome either, having only started using it
when I switched to Ubuntu.

Thanks for any help,
Florence